Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Patrick Saxon Shines in the Role of Iago

I aint got no time to write this up, but I gotta say that Mr. Patrick Saxon amazed me last week with the grace, depth, and power of his performance as Iago in the California Shakespeare Company's otherwise lackluster production of Othello: The Moor of Venice. This actor has flow! I never thought I'd see a better Iago than Vincent Cardinale's, but this certainly equaled it. And unlike that younger actor, Saxon looks around Iago's age: 28. The production had full Elizabethan dress, which is a rare thing to see, due in part to a lack of public funding for the Arts in a climate of austerity. To repeat: actor PATRICK SAXON did a fantastic job as Iago.

I've elsewhere articulated my thoughts about the central issue of this play: the proper placement of belief and doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment please...